Thursday, January 20, 2011

Turneffe Crab Tying Instructions

I really couldn't find good instructions for this pattern online so I figured I'd post my variation.  I have a couple buddies heading to Belize in May and being stuck in school I volunteered to tie them some flies so at least part of me can go.  Here is how I tie this pattern.  It was originated by Craig Matthews owner of Blue Ribbon Flies which is one of the best fly shops I have ever been to, if you are in West Yellowstone you gotta stop in. 

Turneffe Crab - Permit/Bonefish Fly
Hook: TMC 811S #2-4
Thread: Tan 6/0 Uni
Eyes: Medium Brass Dumbell Eyes
Body: Cream Furry Foam
Legs: MFC Tan Barred Rubber Legs.
Wing: Elk Hair
Cement: Hard as Hull

Step 1: Tie in dumbell eyes

Step 2: Cut furry foam to a taper.

Step 3: Tie in furry foam on the underside of the hook

Step 4: Invert hook and tie in 4 rubber legs at the point of the dumbell eye

Step 5: Fold furry foam over and tie down

Step 6: Tie in elk hair wing

Step 7: Whip finish and trim head

Step 8: Coat all thread on underside of fly with hard as hull


This is the permit's eye view of the fly.  It is a pretty simple fly the only tricky part is tying the furry foam in centered on the underside of the fly.  Also I'd recommend omitting step #8 if your buddies are going to Belize without you so all the flies fall apart, that way you don't have to hear about all the fish they caught.  

2 comments:

  1. Sabotage??? Is that what's going on here??

    ReplyDelete
  2. What makes you think I am not talking about my OTHER friends who are going to Belize??

    ReplyDelete