Ice Dub Cased Caddis Larva Tying Instructions

One thing I notice when I look at my buddies fly boxes is often a lack of caddis nymphs.  I am not sure why that is.  There are tons of caddis in the area and they are very effective fished deep on the bottom.  Here is a cased caddis larva that is super easy to tie.

Ice Dub Cased Caddis Larva - Trout Fly
Hook: TMC 200R #10-20
Thread: 6/0 Olive Uni
Bead: Black Tungsten
Rib: Chartreuse Wire
Body: Turkey Tail
Thorax: Caddis Green Ice Dub

Step 1: Slide bead onto hook.

Step 2: Tie in chartreuse wire.

Step 3: Tie in turkey tail.

Step 4: Wrap turkey tail forward building a slight taper.

Step 5: Rib body with wire, wrapping opposite the way you wrapped the turkey tail.

Step 6: Dub thorax and whip finish.
For the body of this fly you could use dubbing or pheasant tail as well.  I prefer the turkey tail as it has a couple contrasting colors and at least in my mind is a bit more realistic to an actual cased caddis.

Comments