Wasatch Back Quad-fishalon Day #1 East Canyon Reservoir

I have to admit that I have a little secret.  Yeah I actually like ice fishing.  I know people do it to get out of the inversion and it has been a bad ski season and there are other excuses people use but I actually enjoy it.  Maybe its my Minnesota roots.  Oh and if you judge me cause I occasionally drop a tube jig with a worm on it down a hole - guess what I don't care.


I decided to sign up for the wasatch back quad-fishalon ice tournament this year just for shits and giggles.  It was kind of crazy seeing all the ice huts out.


Fishing was pretty poor by most accounts today.  The top three trout get prizes and then if you sign up for all four lakes you can win a combined grand prize of your biggest trout from each location.  I was sweating bullets as I still had the skunk going with 45 minutes left.  Fortunately this fat 13.5 inch bow decided to stop by and play.


The biggest fish to come out of the ice today was only 18 inches so assuming I avoid skunage and can manage a few bigger fish I'll still be in the running for the grand prize.


As you can see the east canyon boat ramp was packed.  It was a nice day on the lake.  I may have got a little too much sun on my face but my sun screen was too cold to squeeze out.  Next up Deer Creek February 8th...stay tuned.

Comments